After purchase of the Territory of Alaska in 1867, Chirikof Island was federally managed by the Bureau of Land Management. Cattle were first stocked in 1888 or later. In 1980, Congress included Chirikof Island in Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge. The BLM grazing lease expired in 2000.
|Chirikof from space||Chart||Severely eroded N. tip|
|Old NAVCOM site||Border of erosion and stream||Old Ranch on East side|
|New Ranch Headquarters||Chute from ranch||Chute to loading beach|
|Chute and beach||Loading beach||Tim, Tim and Bell|
|Steve, Tim, Loni, Greg, Tim||Roundup|
Currently there are no year-round residents. There have been no new attempts to remove cattle from Chirikof since 2003.
Email the Webmaster
Last updated: 12/26/2007