Historical and Archaelogical Sites on Canna Isle - page 2


Canna Isle, Inner Hebrides, Scotland. Canna and Sanday are owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland and are designated a Special Site of Scientific Interest (SSSI), and Special Protection Area (SPA) for their seabird interests.
Click on any photo to see enlarged version.
For more about Canna, Click Here (NTS site)

Return to Scotland Index

Canna060225-15.tif Canna060225-14.tif Canna060225-11.tif
St Edwards, former Roman Catholic Church (built 1886-1890) on Sanday, now being renovated. St Edwards, former Roman Catholic Church.
Canna060226-023.tif Canna060226-024.tif Canna060226-027.tif
The souterrains were tunnels leading to underground structures. Originally used for storage of cheese and butter and associated with huts (shielings) in high, remote pastures used during summer. But they may date to the first millennium AD, used for refuge during Viking raids.
Canna060226-036.tif Canna060226-058.tif Canna060226-057.tif
The King of Norway's Grave at Rubha Langanes. Similarly shaped Norse graves have proved to be burials that include a Viking longboat.

Email the Webmaster




Last updated: 12/10/06